Monday, March 26, 2012

Naked Foul - The Chiriqui Chicken Story


They keep telling me that this is a special breed of chicken.  For more than a year, I thought they were all hiding something.  This HAS to be a government experiment.  Featherless chickens, I thought.  Meant to cut costs.  Pre-de-feathered to save money on butchering.  My husband thought they were just diseased and no one wanted to say anything. 

When some friends of mine that were visiting for the first time heard me say that I really disliked the chickens here and thought they were ugliest things I ever saw, they were shocked.  "Aw!  But why?!"  I said, "Come here..."  They came over to where I was standing and I pointed at one of these morphed creatures.  Their faces twisted up, tongues protruded in disgust, "EEeeewww!  You're right."  I smiled in triumph. 


What they saw was a partially feathered animal like this one above.  But it was much more skantily clad.  And the few feathers it had were white.  When, that same time, another ex-pat friend of mine saw it, he said crisply, "Makes it easier for butchering...cut here."  It makes me laugh every time I think of it.

When I told a childhood friend of mine about this phenomenon, I sent a few of these pictures.  Her family had raised chickens.  Before seeing the photographic evidence, she said, "They're only cute until they grow their pinfeathers."  I told her to brace herself because I had proof to the contrary.  Chiriqui chicks do not look like the photo below when they are born, or if they do by some chance, they don't stay this way for long....


So I sent her a few pictures of the half-nude chickens above.  Shortly afterward, I received a message saying that she and her husband were now deeply disturbed. 

They smell weird, the look awful, they are inconsiderate and loud and they absolutely can't cross the road safely when I am around them. 

So there it is folks.  I am not a fan of the Chiriquí chicken.  Or as my husband calls them, "Jurassic Park chickens". 

No comments:

Post a Comment