Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Umbrella

Here in Panama, the umbrella has many functions.  I had no idea until I had been here for about two months.  I had a flimsy compact one from home that made the locals laugh.  So, we gave in and bought "real" umbrellas. 


The obvious need for the umbrella is to protect you from the rain.  But here, rainy season changes your perspective on weather.  It can be so heavy that the buses and taxis stop running altogether, leaving you stranded if you have a late afternoon appointment.  This rain means business.  The amazing thing is that by the next day, most of it is completely gone because the ground has soaked it up like a sponge in the Sahara. 


Another practical use is to protect you from the intense sunlight.  It can be fatiguing to carry it around all the time, but really, if you're not wearing a hat, you need something to protect yourself.

My two favorite uses, however, are as follows.

Walking sticks.  The terrain here is very rough.  There are lots of rocks and unstable ground to traverse and without some sort of secondary support, you're sure to fall here in the mountains or even in the lowlands where there's plenty of mud.  Even with my umbrella as a walking stick, I manage to slip and slide constantly.

Dog control.  There are a lot of stray dogs in Panama, as in most of Central America.  But, not all are disinterested loaners that roam the streets and mountain roads scrounging for food.  Some are actually guarding property - theirs or some family's.  And when they are on guard duty, your umbrella becomes your best friend.  I've been taught to point the tip at the dog's mouth and open the umbrella.  For some reason, this detracts the offended furball.  And, when all else fails, you can just let them have it.  Thankfully, I haven't had to do this yet.  I did have one very irritated lap dog bite mine one day when I opened it out of nervousness.  I think he made his point.


So, if your plan is to visit this great country, buy a sturdy umbrella as soon as you can and don't leave it in the car or hotel.  You'll always have a need for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment